Woolworths unveils new Mornington Central store, celebrating local Australian produce and 65 fresh new faces to the team
Shoppers in the Peninsula now have a new Woolworths supermarket at Mornington Central, and it has an expanded fresh food experience, convenient shopping options and value at the heart of its offering.
Mornington Central Woolworths showcases an extensive range of Australian fruit and vegetables, artisan style breads baked freshly each day from the full-scratch Bakery, 100% Australian beef from Aussie farmers and trade qualified Butchers and an array of fresh, local seafood from the fish market.
The store offers convenient shopping options for customers including Scan&Go, to allow customers to scan products on their smartphone as they shop, securely pay in the app and skip the check-out queues when they leave the store.
For those who prefer to shop online, Woolworths also offers Direct to Boot at Mornington Central where customers simply confirm when they’ve arrived in one of five marked bays via the Woolworths app or SMS link to notify the store team, who will then pack the order directly in the boot with no additional charge.
Karen Heppell, who started her career at Mornington Village Woolworths 26 years ago as a checkout operator, is the proud store manager for Mornington Central Woolworths. She leads the team alongside team members Nicole from the Bakery team and Jeanette in the grocery department, who have collectively worked at Woolworths Mornington Village for 67 years and are on first-name basis with many customers.
Karen said: “We’re incredibly excited to open a brand new contemporary fresh food offering for the Mornington community.
“The team at Mornington Central care just as much as our customers about supporting local suppliers, so we’re excited to offer a range of honey from Pure Peninsula Honey and delicious free range eggs from Mornington Peninsula Eggs".
“And we think customers will enjoy newer innovations like Scan&Go and Direct to Boot make it easier for customers to choose how they want to shop, in a way that is most convenient with their busy schedules. We look forward to welcoming them to their new Woolworths!”
The store proudly partners with OzHarvest who collect surplus fruit and vegetables three days a week to help provide meals to locals in need. Since January through the Woolworths partnership with OzHarvest alone, VIC helped provide over 1.5 million meals to Victorians experiencing food insecurity.
Mornington Central Woolworths also provides surplus baked goods, fruit and vegetables to local farmers and Rain, Hayne & Shine, a farmyard offering a hands-on learning experience with a large variety of friendly farm animals for kids.
The store has announced its support for the remainder of this year and next, for the Mornington Bulldogs Football Netball Club. Plus they will be supporting the Mornington Surf Life Saving Club during the summer months and also providing fresh fruit to the Mornington Primary School throughout the year.
Mornington Central Woolworths is committed to growing greener and reducing its impact on their environment by operating the store on LED lights to reduce power usage and switching to carbon-efficient freezer systems with doors, reducing energy waste by 40%. There’s also an area in-store where customers can bring in their soft plastics, and batteries, to be recycled.
Store highlights include:
● Bakery: A shining star of our fresh new store, the bakery is a one-stop shop for artisan-style bread, sweet treats, perfect pastries and custom-made cakes.
● Seafood: Woolworths have a great variety of fresh local seafood, perfect for a light dinner or an indulgent feast. To enjoy the catch of the day be sure to ask the team what they’ve been buying and what they’ll be taking home for dinner. The range covers everything from locally-sourced juicy prawns to the freshest fish fillets and 100% Tasmanian salmon.
● Butcher: Dedicated in-store Butchers are available to help customers pick and choose the right cut of meat for the perfect occasion, whether it be a BBQ or a slow-cooker winter warmer dish.
● Deli: Inspired by a classic Italian delicatessen, our glass cabinets are brimming with cured meats to replicate a continental deli with salami, salads and antipasti from local and international producers. All these delicacies are ready to serve but we can slice your meat just the way you like it – thick, thin or shaved.
● Scan&Go is built into the Woolworths App, which can be downloaded from the App and Google Play stores. Customers must be Woolworths Rewards members and will need to upload an accepted credit or debit card to the app before shopping. Team members conduct random bag checks on Scan&Go shops.